Oklahoma Net Metering Grid-Tie KW Limits

This is the place for all On-Grid or Grid-Tie wind turbine issues and discussions. Customers meet each other, dealers and installers help out with questions.
admin
Site Admin

Oklahoma Net Metering Grid-Tie KW Limits

Post by admin »

>> Not sure what your source is on utilities not supporting net
>> metering. However if you check the local utility's webpage,
>> www.oge.com , they already have net metering tariffs and
>> rates for wind turbines under 100kW, which appears to
>> cover your 0.85kw unit. Mike

Hello Mike,

We sell systems of all sizes, we sell new home systems up to 20KW, Refurbished and Rebuilt wind turbines up to 650KW. The 700 and 850 watt turbine kits are just the most popular. Many installs willo combine a row of those units to power a large residence, business, or barn. A few of them together exceeds the "or 2500 kWh (whichever is less) loophole that Big Utilities implanted in your Oklahoma Energy Policy.

Real Quick, What is net metering?
Net Metering: is the most critical public policy and state regulated rules that govern YOUR PERSONAL ENERGY RIGHTS, FREEDOM. Through Net Metering, energy consumed and produced at a home or business that has a home wind turbine or solar system is metered and credited. Under net metering, excess electricity produced by the wind turbine, called NEG ( net excess generated ) will spin the existing home or business electricity meter backwards, effectively banking the electricity until it is needed by the customer. This provides the customer with full retail value/credit for all the electricity produced.

I will concede that Oklahoma HAS Net Metering and that 8 states don't even have that.. But, it's a very windy state and wind is a natural resource belonging to any property owner. And no property owner should have his rights clipped by a bad public policy and law favoring monopoly utility interests. Oklahoma Corporation Commission (OCC) Order 326195. According to Oklahoma Net Metering Policy, law specifically states...

In Oklahoma, Limit on System Size: 100 kW or 25,000 kWh/year (whichever is less)

OK, which would be less? Most likely the 25,000 kWh. I live in a small home but I have over 10 computers, 2 kids, etc. I use between 2500 kWh and 3,000 kWh a month. So, for an Oklahoma tax payer in my situation, I am NOT ALLOWED to generate all my electricity needed and more, tied to the grid. So, what about my rights? Guess I would rather live in New Jersey, where a taxpayer has more rights to generate what he needs.

In New Jersey - Limit on System Size: 2 MW

In New Jersey, See, a homeowner or small business in New Jersey has the rights through NJ Energy Policy on Net Metering to have 20x the size a guy cdan have in Oklahoma. Is that OK with you? I think if yoiu ask a guy that needs more than 2500kWh a month the answer would be "NO". So, even if you don't need that much, I ask you to lend your voice, youyr vote, to push for equal energy rights. I submit that a guy in Oklahoma should be granted equal opportunity under the law to pursue a green energy system that meets his needs AND ties to the grid.

Conversely I ask. What is the point of the Oklahoma law that would limit the size of a system that it can't supply a medium to large home? It's so that those who can afford green energy, be limited from using it. It's so that Big Money Utilities have their monopoly protected while the taxpayting consumer has his interests stifled. Is that what you want in government policy, in representation, leadership? Not me.

In Oklahoma, NEG (net excess generation), Utilities are also not required to purchase net excess generation (NEG) from customers. However, a customer may request that the utility purchase NEG. In the utility agrees, then NEG will be purchased at the utility's avoided-cost rate. That's Crap. That allows any utility to decide what they want and to CHANGE their arbitrary rules at any time. Also see language, utility's avoided-cost rate, that is about 1/2 of what you pay for electricity, and the neighbor who uses your NEG, that's about 1/2 what he will pay the electric company for your NEG that he uses. It's simply a rip off. Unacceptable.

In New Jersey, Treatment of Net Excess: Several options exist according to customer preference. Generally, NEG will be credited to customer's next bill at retail rate with next excess purchased by the utility at the avoided cost rate at the end of an annualized period. WOW. What a difference in rights they have compared to Oklahoma.

It's simple what we want and need in ANY STATE for Net Metering. So, as you advocate for improvement, it's simple what is needed.

We want:
(1) NO Limit, or 2MW on to Size of Systems
(2) NOLimits on Enrollment
(3) Minimal, Fair Fees and Red Tape
(4) Policy of NEG (net excess generated) which is what is done with extra power you generate. We want 1 to 1 ( full retail credit ) with a annual settlement of the NEG to the homeowner or small business who invested in green energy. Completely fair policy on NEG.

Mary Putnam on Pickens Plan is a leader in Oklahoma. See Her Blog, Join this Forum, we are going to start an entire section on Net Metering Policy Reform, and support what needs to happen in Oklahoma. Also, we have a WindEnergy7 home wind turbine dealer in oklahoma city, Shawn Houk. Contact him to talk about systems and such. Shawn can help you become a customer, dealer, or advocate in Oklahoma.

Help Us. Join this forum and collaborate with others. If you can't afford a system, that's OK, we still need voices and friends to help us in these issues. Drop a letter, an email, letter to an editor, tell a friend. Here's a few addresses and such, and local papers and media, blog posts, anything you can do will be appreciated. It's important to send messages by all means.. Land, Sea, and Air :)

Demand Change, Send Them These Points
and Articles of Interest, Contact:

George Kiser
Oklahoma Corporation Commission
Public Utility Division

2201 N. Lincoln Boulevard
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Phone: (405) 521-6878
Fax: (405) 522-3371
E-Mail: g.kiser@occemail.com

Office of Governor Brad Henry
State Capitol Building

2300 N. Lincoln Blvd., Room 212
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Telephone: (405) 521-2342
Fax: (405) 521-3353
http://www.ok.gov/governor/index.php
Message To The Governor Link
http://www.ok.gov/governor/message.php

The Oklahoma House of Representatives
meets in Oklahoma City at the state capitol
to consider changes in Oklahoma laws.
http://www.okhouse.gov/
Last edited by admin on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Demand Change: Gov. Henry names new energy secretary

Post by admin »

Office of Governor Brad Henry
State of Oklahoma
State Capitol - Oklahoma City OK 73105
(405) 521-2342

Gov. Henry names new energy secretary
December 18, 2008

Oklahoma City — Gov. Brad Henry today accepted the resignation of Oklahoma Secretary of Energy David Fleischaker and immediately named Fleischaker’s deputy to succeed him in the top energy post. Robert “Bobby” Wegener of Oklahoma City has served as the state’s Deputy Secretary of Energy since 2005.

Fleischaker recently informed the governor of his desire to return to the private sector where he serves as president and chief executive officer of Jolen Operating Company.

“I hate to lose David because he has been an invaluable asset to my administration and the state of Oklahoma,” said Gov. Henry. “However, I certainly understand his decision and wish him the very best.”

Gov. Henry originally appointed Fleischaker to his cabinet in 2003. The Oklahoma City energy producer has taken the lead on a number of Henry initiatives over the last five years, including the creation of the Oklahoma Bioenergy Center in 2007.

“I appreciated the opportunity to serve the governor and the state of Oklahoma, and I’m proud of our accomplishments,” said Fleischaker. “I know the cabinet post will be in good hands with Bobby Wegener.”

Before joining the Secretary of Energy’s office three years ago, Wegener was an attorney in private practice specializing in cases involving oil and gas issues and public utilities. Wegener holds a bachelor’s degree from Texas A and M and a law degree from the University of Oklahoma College of Law.

“Bobby has done a great job in my administration and is more than worthy of the promotion to cabinet officer,” said Gov. Henry. “The energy secretary is a critical position and it is important to have someone who can hit the ground running. I appreciate Bobby’s willingness to serve.”

Wegener will assume his cabinet secretary duties immediately. His post requires confirmation from the State Senate.

“I look forward to serving the Henry administration in this new role,” said Wegener.

Message To The Governor Link
http://www.ok.gov/governor/message.php

If Anybody can get Bobby Wegener's contact info with email, phone, and address, please post it up. We need to get this guy involved. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Wind Turbine Buyer's Guide

Post by admin »

check out the home turbine guyer's guide

Wind Power Forums
Home Wind Turbine Videos
Home Wind Turbine Blog
Wind Maps For Your Area

Anyone wanting a small wind turbine, fill out the Contact Form and I can connect you with the dealer for your area. There are still areas open for new dealers but county territories and entire states are being established now, a few states completely established. So, if you are interested in Becoming a Customer/Dealer fill out the same Contact Form and we can see if your area may still be open.

We have a growing dealer network of individuals who use our products and an installed base stretching from Hawaii to New Jersey, Canada, and Europe. When customers find our kits to be easy to build and understand, many find it easy to Become Customer/Dealers. They are able to do this with no further investment and they see how interested people are to buy a system.