Wire Sizing, Guage for Turbine Charge Controller to Battery

This is the place for all On-Grid or Grid-Tie wind turbine issues and discussions. Customers meet each other, dealers and installers help out with questions.
SOLAR-MAN

Wire Sizing, Guage for Turbine Charge Controller to Battery

Post by SOLAR-MAN »

Off of the charge controller and the battery bank what is the wire sizing that is needed for them to hook up.
Regular battery cable or size 8 AWG or "8 Guage" like the rest of the system. etc. curious
admin
Site Admin

Wire Sizing From Controller to Battery

Post by admin »

Sorry I have not already replied to this. I am too busy this weekend to do it justice and provide a FULL answer. I will make a very brief reply that ( IT DEPENDS ). It depends on factors of amps of current, volts of current, and distance of the connection. Add to that, there is a reason that I wire with heavier guage usually than what would be required.

Acceptable guidelines usually go with a wiring that allows 5% of the power to be lost to resistance. Five percent is normally acceptable in low voltage systems, but I like to wire for a 2% figure and I divide the normal distances that a wire would carry, beefing it up. Usually that is divided by 2 to 2.5. Of course, I will think of cost also. Example, on my battery bank, I use beefy welding cable at 1 or 2 guage. I could use less beefy, save money, but over time my system does better efficiency with the heavy cable.

The wiring I use from controller to battery bank is always stranded and I use from 6 to 8 guage depending on what size turbine and how much solar, the length etc. Most people are using 8 guage there.
--
turbineZ
--
turbine@windenergy7.com