If each Roof Turbine is 24v, How can 2 be 24v together?

This is the place for all On-Grid or Grid-Tie wind turbine issues and discussions. Customers meet each other, dealers and installers help out with questions.
admin
Site Admin

If each Roof Turbine is 24v, How can 2 be 24v together?

Post by admin »

>> I'm not sure I understand how you can take the turbine if it's 24V, then
>> make a system with 2 and or 3 turbines and still have only 24v in the
>> battery bank and inverter. If each Roof Turbine is 24v, How can 2 be
>> 24v together? Also, why aren't we using 12V, seems more common?

Hi James,

It's called PARALLEL wiring, Parallel wiring increases capacity but NOT voltage. So, we wire the turbines to be used in Parallel. This is a very common practice in wind/solar systems and battery banks. Parallel wiring increases capacity but NOT voltage. So, I'm really glad you asked because it's instructive for others to post here on the wind power forum.

In the battery bank, we can use 6v batteries. We wire them in groups of 4. This, or each group of 4 is wired in SERIES. Series wiring increases voltage but NOT amp/hour capacity. So, 4 6v batteries wired in SERIES is making 24V. Series wiring increases voltage but NOT amp/hour capacity.

So, 4, 6v 200Ah batteries wired together in SERIES, = 24v 200Ah...
Series wiring increases voltage but NOT amp/hour capacity.

NOW, ANOTHER CURVE..

You can put sets of 4, 6v batteries on the system, up to 12. So, can be 4,8, or 12 battery bank. To do an 8 or 12 battery bank, we need BOTH Series AND Parallel. Groups of 4 wired in SERIES to get to 24v, each group connected together by wiring in in Parallel to stay at 24v.

So, 4 6v 200Ah batteries wired together in SERIES, = 24v 200Ah...
Series wiring increases voltage but NOT amp/hour capacity.

2 Groups of 4 like that, wired in Parallel increases capacity but NOT voltage. So, 8 battery bank of 6v 200Ah ea. = 24v 400Ah

3 Groups of 4 like that, wired in Parallel increases capacity but NOT voltage. So, 12 battery bank of 6v 200Ah ea. = 24v 600Ah

So, adding more batteries in the bank helps you sustsin more time between charging, windy or sunny periods. Gives you additional run-time and makes a system more reliable. But, you can always start out with 4 or 8, then upgrade to 12 later. Many people doing that. I recommend getting 12 if you can afford it, or planning to upgrade to 12 as soon as you can afford it. People with great wind/solar resources need the batteries less than those with weak resources. The poorer your wind/solar resources and or the larger your system the more battery bank you want to employ.

>> Also, why aren't we using 12V, seems more common?

Well, the biggest advantage of 24 volt systems vs. 12 volts is that wire size can be cut in half throughout the system as compared to 12v. Besides affecting battery bank wires, this includes solar panels, wind turbine generator and micro hydro turbine wiring. If you have hundreds of feet of wire, this cost can add up quickly. Additionally the 24V at this wattage has a power generation efficiency that is better than other voltages for efficiency.
YahooSeeker [Bot]

12V batteries

Post by YahooSeeker [Bot] »

Hi Sam,

Wouldn't you be able to achieve the 24V by hooking two 12v batteries in series?
admin
Site Admin

12v batteries or 6v batteries for GREEN POWER

Post by admin »

Hello,

Sure, you can use many, many combinations. (THIS) is exactly why we only use, support, and discuss using 6v. Too many ways to skin that cat, more than I care to deal with when supporting systems.

Every variation in battery configurations that you support, discuss, use, simply complicates support of the systems you sell and support. Every conversation has to go into what the bank is, how it's configured, blah blah. Although I go to explain the fundamentals of parallel and series wiring, I do want all users to understand. But I do not recommend freelancing around on configs. I only publish configs for 6v battery banks. I will only support battery banks that follow my configs.

Standardization means, easy to support, document, train, discuss. Thus I never advise or support anything but 6v, 200 to 220ah batteries configured to WE7 recommendations. This what I do myself, this what I advise all dealers and customers to do same. Besides, 6v 200 to 220ah is the most economical and commodity supported battery to use, that's why we use them anyway.

That's one reason I don't like to sell turbines for use with some pre-existing solar system. That means every component is a question. Every support call is a discovery. Every problem... usually to do with some other equipment that is not of my selection or preference. A WE7 system, it's all easy to support because it's standardized, engineered kit.
--
turbineZ
--
turbine@windenergy7.com