Roof Turbine, Inverter Output and Amps of Circuit

This is the place for all Off-Grid wind turbine issues and discussions. Customers meet each other, dealers and installers help out with questions.
admin
Site Admin

Roof Turbine, Inverter Output and Amps of Circuit

Post by admin »

>> I am reading the specs of the off-grid inverter and it states that the
>> output is a 20 amp circuit. Most every circuit I could tie this to is a
>> 30 amp circuit. Maybe in a home there are a couple of 20 amp circuits.
>> I am planning my isolated GREEN CIRCUIT as you suggested.

(OLD INFO, NOT CURRENT, HO Grid-Tie Kits )

>> I was planning to put the refrigerator, sump pump, and some lighting
>> or wall plugs on the GREEN CIRCUIT. First I was planning to measure
>> the output of some outlets and use, like the TV and such and pick an
>> assortment of steady users at about 90% of the expected Wind/Solar
>> system output. Seems like 20 amp output is a little less than we need
>> for this GREEN CIRCUIT. Can you explain the 20 amp output and such
>> so I can know that I will not be overloading it?

Off-Grid Only System Information Only, ( NOT CURRENT, HO Grid-Tie Kits )

Hi, Sure, but you should run this by your electrician and let him consult with you on this. The systems come with a 2400 watt inverter that is very heavy duty.

I use the electricity monitor to see what my normal use is from an outlet like this. The trick is, you need to know how much KWh (kilowatt hours) you use a month in a particular spot. Like the TV, you may have a large one, but it only runs three hours a day. The neighbor has same TV, always leaves it on all night, teenagers running it all weekend.. Same appliance, way different load per month. So, this Electricity Usage Monitor will run a clock vs. kilowatts to determine actual KWh used. You can make a list of things you measured and really find best load to pair up with the GREEN CIRCUIT. I usually will load it with a refrigerator and trim in some other items to get to a matched load that fits your expected output.

Now, with respect to the AMPs of the GREEN CIRCUIT.

Converting Watts to Amps

The conversion of Watts to Amps is governed by the equation Amps = Watts/Volts

For example 12 watts/12 volts = 1 amp

We have a 2400 watt inverter, this pretty heavy duty for such a small system. This way we can support a larger battery bank and support upgrades to the system. So, 2400 watts inverter at 120v output = 20 amps... THAT'S IT'S RATING On good equipment, ratings are made conservatively with engineering to accomplish more than rated when necessary. So, you load it with 20 to 30 amps and think of possible peaks of use that could exceed it's maximum output.

From the Specification of our current Off-Grid Inverter..
Output watts
2400W (continuous) / 4800W (peak)

So, at peak, 4800 watts inverter at 120v output = 40 amps... THAT'S PEAK OUTPUT You need to stay comfortably under that and not do more than a 30 amp circuit will/can do. So, this system runs a 30 amp circuit with a 30 amp breaker, load it like you would a 30 amp circuit, but keep the KWh usage within range of the system as well. So, you have two factors, a load capacity, amps. Then, you have a monthly usage of power that you are putting on it, that's in KWh that needs to be reasonable to the generation capacity expected. You could have 1,2, or 3 turbines with or without solar, estimated output by wind and solar resources for this/any site in KWh monthly.

This inverter is very heavy duty and rated comfortably with 30 amps in mid range of its capacity. To pull more load than 30 amps, we would add a second inverter and another GREEN CIRCUIT to keep the system really safe and within specs. Run that by your electrician and see if it all makes sense.

You can Become the Local Home Wind/Solar Dealer We are now present in over 21 states and three countries with our owner/dealer group. All you need to do to be qualified to be a dealer is to become an owner, go through install and operation of your system, then sign an agreement for up to 5 counties of territory. Become Home Wind Turbine Dealer

See New Home Wind Turbine Videos