Home Wind Turbine

This is the place for all Off-Grid wind turbine issues and discussions. Customers meet each other, dealers and installers help out with questions.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Flourescent Tubes vs CFL Bulbs, Which To Deploy?

Post by admin »

turbineZ wrote:>> I am changing out all my lighting to CFL now to better conserve
>> electricity of my wind/solar home generation. Now, I am going
>> to use CFL because the cost per bulb of the LED is just prohibitive
>> so I will be going with flourescent and CFL throughout my property.
>> I will be upgrading to LED when the cost per bulb gets lower, or as
>> budget permits me to change over.
>>
>> So, I have a couple of areas that currently have flourescent tube
>> lighting and not sure what to do there. Should I just leave those
>> alone, or is the CFL more efficient there? What about mercury?

Well, what I would do depends on whether or not you want to change your fixtures right now. Flourescent tube lighting and CFL bulbs use about the same amount of power. Your tube lights spread the light over a larger area and distribute light a little better. One thing about the tube lights is that the ballast is with the fixture, thus does not get changed out with the bulb, is permanent. The CFL bulb has the ballast built in and thus you renew that with each bulb change and avoid the possibility of a aging ballast that may not be operating efficiently.

Either one is a major improvement over incandescent lights. The best fixtures for LED will be screw in type bulb fixtures. So, when you move to LED that fixture change and a CFL bulb may be a mid step that you can do now or later. But the move to LED will ultimately lead to killing off the flourescent tube fixtures. I am currently taking out rows of flourescent tubes and putting in regular screw in light bulb fixtures. I am going to put in as many LED as I can and the rest with CFL, changing them to LED as soon as I can. As you move to LED, choose the lights used most, do them first thus saving electricity on highest use lights.. first.

A standard fluorescent tube will contain 5 times more mercury than a compact fluorescent bulb. Both reduce the amount of mercury released into the environment. By conserving energy with flourescents, the amount of electricity needing to be generated by mercury releasing coal power plants is reduced.

I do believe that in terms of a lumen's to wattage ratio, the two types of fluorescent bulb are fairly similar. But the little ones can be used much more easily in home applications and are cheaper to buy in both bulb and fixture. Thus for NEW CONSTRUCTION the flourescent tube fixtures should never be used, CFL is the standard and LED the new technology, buth using screw in type fixtures.
--
turbineZ
turbine@windenergy7.com

This is really a cool stuff.

Regards,
Arron
admin
Site Admin

Figuring Out Loads

Post by admin »

Yes, the energy monitor is critical to nail this very good. Most tend to overload and cause themselves much drama. So, until you figure it out, load it light and get a feel for the capacity first, then move stuff over.

You are Grid-Tie is that correct? If so, your load leveling is easier to do because your system will take the overload and use grid very smoothly. It is less critical and less a problem if you put too much on sub panel, not as big a deal as for OFF-Grid. I'll post more about this later but I have to run.
admin
Site Admin

Wiring Questions for Single Turbine, On Budget..

Post by admin »

Did this answer the question?
admin
Site Admin

Off-Grid Rooftop System, 2 or 3 Wind Turbines

Post by admin »

Is that your cost per kwH or what they give you in "Buy Back" for your grid tie?

Here in Ohio our cost to buy power is at $.11 per Kwh, but if I generate an extra kwH and it goes into the grid I only get $.07. So this is common of most situations for consumers with Grid-Tie systems. The rate of exchange is very unfair and not designed to stimulate home generation at all.

This is why with our WindEnergy7 Grid-Tie we try to not build systems to exceed the home use. With such an unfair rate of exchange in most consumer situations it does not help the ROI (return on investment) to make more than you use.

Now, back to the topic, "Off-Grid Rooftop System, 2 or 3 Wind Turbines". My answer is that you should go as large as you can use the power generated and not exceed that to generate extra for the utility company. That is unless you are in a very favorable ctate where regulation and grid tie policy is good.

In the future, people will be educated about the way our grid-tie laws and regulation are stacked against green power, against home power generation. At some point, folks will get smart and demand these rules be straightened out to actually stimulate growth like it is in Colorado and a few other lucky states where there is actually leadership and the government is acting in the interest of the public and the environment.

Oklahoma Install, One Turbine Wind Only Rooftop Wind Turbine
Small Wind Turbine Kit, Installed in Oklahoma
Rooftop Wind Turbine Kit Install, Indiana
Pictures: Twin Turbine Rooftop Wind Turbines
Pictures: One Turbine Wind/Solar Hybrid With Tower
Pictures: One Turbine Wind Only Rooftop System

admin
Site Admin

Mounting Solar Panels to Roof, Home Wind Solar System

Post by admin »

>> By the way, what are the specifics on the wiring for the panels? My
>> electrician will be going to home depot to get. Any info ASAP
>> would be great!

There's a diagram in the DRAFT manual. Two panels go together pos to negative to combine voltage higher, then run to controller as input, 10 guage unless it's over 50 feet or so, then go 8 guage etc.

http://windenergy7.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100

>> Could you please provide a picture of the solar panels mounted on the
>> roof. Specifically, the connection between bracket contact to roof.

Sure, Here's one example below. This one is too close to the legs IMO, maybe. It may be the angle but looks like it is over top of the legs a bit. If so, this probably for asthetics I imagine. I would not overlap your panels over your mount legs like this but still, this looks like a good install and this dealer really did a good job on his system. These are the larger 240watt upgrade panels like you have.

But, with the plastic connection box up top, orient them like this, side by side. Use 25 year caulk or tar to dip the bolts into before screwing them down. Most cases just screw into the deck with a 1/4" x 1" lag, silicome top & bottom and bolt as you screw it in. The Zclips create a separation between the roof and panels, and create an easy extension to screw down to the roof.

admin
Site Admin

How Tight Should Rotor be Bolted to Turbine Shaft

Post by admin »

>> Also, when tightening the bolt on the turbine, how tight should that
>> be? Does that have any relation to ability for the turbine to spin?

Just snug it up so that the lock washer compresses down and you know it's tight. Because of the way it tapers on the shaft and how hard it will be to get off, don't tighten too hard. That sucker fits on in way that it is VERY hard to ever remove it. So, you don't have to worry about getting it very tight.

This rotor will be hard to ever get off and I would recommend 2 things. Wipe a drop of oil around just to keep it from seizing up, not much, just a drop. Also, don't attach rotor till last step. Turbine should be fully ready to run before rotor goes on last thing. See picture below. This turbine all ready, battery bank operational, inverter fully functioning, THEN the rotor goes on LAST.

Anyone wanting a small wind turbine, fill out the contact form and I can connect you with the dealer for your area. There are still areas open in most states for new dealers but many counties and a few entire states are taken up and several people are saying they are going to get their territory. So, if you are interested in becoming a dealer fill out the same form and we can see if your area may still be open.
admin
Site Admin

Side Pole Mount vs. Roof Mount of Solar Panels

Post by admin »

>> The battery bank and cabinet have been in place and are ready
>> to go. If I knew for sure what size pole would work with the
>> mounts you provide, I would also have the pole in place.

Hi Joe,

The Z Clips are the standard hardware for roof mounting. I will build you a pole mount and support that if you want because that (WAS) an option at the time of your purchase, but that will not be standard going forward. By percentage, after selling so many units. There are about 1 in 10 that prefer pole mount and most just do not want a pole around. They are foregoing yield for simplicity and aesthetics. I am reacting to what the people want because it's better for me and the installer as well to put on the roof.

In fact I have had several calls where they have seen pictures of the pole mount, think that is only way we do it. I have had customers state that they would want one if it did not have to have that pole in the yard. So, most see that as not attractive. I started out with roof mount panels and Z Clips and was successful. I had changed to pole mount for yield of solar. But the customers are clearly telling me that's not what is preferred. So, I am standardizing to the desire of the customers. After all, that's my specialty, rooftop mounted systems that are easy, cheap, and not obtrusive to the landscape.

If you have a south facing roof, I would recommend doing the Z Clip straight to the roof. If you need a pole mount, I will build you one but it won't be real quick. It also may lead customers to do the more costly and difficult pole mount.

I have decided that my new panels are going to the roof also here. It's going to save me a ditch, pole, wiring, and I will have less obstructions in my yard. I think I'm going for roof mounts here at my new system I am building here at the house now.

Anyone wanting a small wind turbine, fill out the contact form and I can connect you with the dealer for your area. There are still areas open in most states for new dealers but many counties and a few entire states are taken up and several people are saying they are going to get their territory. So, if you are interested in becoming a dealer fill out the same form and we can see if your area may still be open.

admin
Site Admin

Indiana Home Wind Turbine, Roof Wind Generator Pictures

Post by admin »

admin
Site Admin

Oklahoma Small Wind Turbine, Demo Trailer

Post by admin »

Sorry I am so pressed for time that I can't put more commentary about this rig. But this dealer is making huge innovation to step out and make this trailer mounted, GRID-TIE demo unit. Initially he was making it to do the 4th of July Parade. The first stab at it missed the height restrictions...

So, this you are looking at is a more low profile trailer. I will probably be helping with some graphics to inprove the look of the branding and such at some point. I had a trailer demo in build at one point and had to abort. At some point I will be working on that again.

With some 40 Amp heavy generator cords, you could actually use this rig at home between fairs, shows, and parades. One thing is for sure, anywhere you park this it will draw a crowd.

Here you can see his controller and the Grid-Tie Inverter, he's going to put his batteries on the deck here next to the Grid-Tie inverter.

Here the dealer had to come up with an apparatus to keep the turbine blade secured and not allow it to spin or get damaged by turbulence while being hauled around.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sam, the panels are just below the legs. I made sure they were below the legs, the box on the roof rail is plastic sealed with O ring and easy to drill for romax connectors especially if you add the panels. We ran 5 #8 wires up to the rail box, 3 green, 1 red and 1 black. Worked grean because I got the turbine up before I got the panels. Also my installer liked to use SS # 12 wood screws instead of leg screws because the screws have more threads then legs, just a personal choice.

Rex