questions about rooftop systems

The place for all Rooftop Turbine issues and discussions. Customers meet each other, dealers and installers help out with questions or problems with Rooftop Wind Turbines.
jgrendahl

questions about rooftop systems

Postby jgrendahl » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:57 pm

So I've surfed around here for about an hour now. I must comment that it's really tough to find you price list. I finally realized that the link of "Buy now with a credit card" was really something that should read: "click here to see our product line and pricing".

Having found the pricing, I now have a few questions all pertaining to the rooftop mount system(s):
1. how much spacing is required between turbines on a multiple turbine rooftop installation? My roof is 38' long...seems like 3 or even 2 up there would be a bit crowded and that the airflow off of one would interfere or stunt the output of others given usual wind direction
2. can roof top systems offer the same output as pole mounted? In other words: typically turbines are written up as: the higher you can mount it the better. Seems to me that only 3' above my roof line would be considerably less than the same turbine mounted on a 30' pole.
3. there's been some discussion on the board here and publicly regarding vibration (or the lack thereof) of the rooftop mounted units. Do you have a guarantee regarding this or if I buy $10,000 worth of turbines from you and I can't sleep at night then I'm just out $10,000?
4. my roof has a different pitch on either side of the peak. Can your rooftop systems accomodate this?
5. not specifically related to rooftop systems, but why is it that the battery system is recommended at 6V? 12V is pretty standard for batteries...6V not so much.
6. Lastly and again not specific to rooftop models, but if I do the off-grid system which is supposed to be the cheaper, "easier", and more flexible route then how does one "rig this up" with regards to electricity in the home? Is there a separate breaker box that supplies dedicate power to certain circuits? What if there's lack of wind and/or sun such that the battery bank drops too low to supply? Can the battery circuit or at least the breaker box supplied by the batteries be energized temporarily with normal power-company juice?
-Jason

Rooftop Wind Turbine
Site Admin

rooftop wind/solar systems, turbine questions

Postby Rooftop Wind Turbine » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:58 pm

>> So I've surfed around here for about an hour now. I must comment
>> that it's really tough to find you price list. I finally realized that the link
>> of "Buy now with a credit card" was really something that should read:
>> "click here to see our product line and pricing".

HI Jason,

Yes, the site is meant to teach and inform first. People fall right into the purchase and don't read anything, it's not a good situation and leads to lots of un-necessary support.

>> 1. how much spacing is required between turbines on a multiple turbine
>> rooftop installation? My roof is 38' long...seems like 3 or even 2 up there
>> would be a bit crowded and that the airflow off of one would interfere or
>> stunt the output of others given usual wind direction.

The turbines are 6' rotor, the cone is about 52" off the peak. These are not wind blockers they have three blades that CUT through the wind but allow wind to flow by freely. The effect of having them create turbulance for each other wuld depend on your roof peak direction vs. your normal wind direction. My garage is shorter than 38' and I am going up there with 3 later this summer. These are low drag turbine design and that's why they start up at less wind than most other systems.

>> 2. can roof top systems offer the same output as pole mounted? In other
>> words: typically turbines are written up as: the higher you can mount it
>> the better. Seems to me that only 3' above my roof line would be
>> considerably less than the same turbine mounted on a 30' pole.

That depends. If your roof is nested inside a ring of giant trees, etc, many things affect a sites performance. My roof on garage is ideal. Peak is pepandicular N/S to the normal heavy wind direction.. From the West. Thus my roof is a gigantic wind concentrator, like a spoiler focussing the heavy winds into the torbine. A lonely pole cannot compete with that. Tall or short. My roof better than any pole any day. Otherwise I would have developed poles and turbines. My technology is a product of personal experience and research.

>> 3. there's been some discussion on the board here and publicly regarding
>> vibration (or the lack thereof) of the rooftop mounted units. Do you have
>> a guarantee regarding this or if I buy $10,000 worth of turbines from
>> you and I can't sleep at night then I'm just out $10,000?

NO. How can I guarantee the quality of your structure and install job. If you have a stable normal home built to code and you do a good solid job installing, you will have same experience that I have. Nice quiet turbines. You have to understand that my equipment will survive beyond the structure that it is mounted to. This kit, stronger to wind than a normal home, no question. It's aerodynamic and made of steel and stainless. This not a plastic toy like what others are selling. I put it on my home, it went through over 90 design improvements and changes on the mount alone. But, the very first prototype was quiet on the roof. We kept working it tirelessly based on vibration data that you could not even hear.

Most of what is on the internet about problems with rooftop wind is written by those who failed to do it correctly. What makes those who failed to succeed such experts? They tie some wobbly home made car alternator with boards for blades to a chimney. Then they declare that no-one should try this! It's kind of funny to me. A paper plane is not a fighter jet. That's about as stark a contrast in quality, design... performance. This is why the WE7 system is an invention and was patented. All prior methods were a failure.

>> 4. my roof has a different pitch on either side of the peak. Can your
>> rooftop systems accomodate this?

That's no problem, each side is hinged and bridges over vents that are common to roof peaks.

>> 5. not specifically related to rooftop systems, but why is it that the battery
>> system is recommended at 6V? 12V is pretty standard for batteries...6V
>> not so much.

6v is cheaper and more of a commodity battery for deep cycle performance. That's because of Golf Carts and the volume that they use nationally. 6v is the standard and price/performance dramatically better. If not, all Golf carts would be using 12v. Think about it. We also do not support 12v use. You (could) do it. BUT, we try to keep all systems as close in spec as possible to save time troubleshooting and supporting. That's why we do not sell our parts out to be mismatched with other components.

>> 6. Lastly and again not specific to rooftop models, but if I do the off-grid
>> system which is supposed to be the cheaper, "easier", and more flexible
>> route then how does one "rig this up" with regards to electricity in the
>> home? Is there a separate breaker box that supplies dedicate power
>> to certain circuits? What if there's lack of wind and/or sun such that
>> the battery bank drops too low to supply? Can the battery circuit or
>> at least the breaker box supplied by the batteries be energized
>> temporarily with normal power-company juice?

Our systems are all Grid-Supplemented and have a automatic charge capability that can run from the grid. This one of many features that other systems don't have. Our systems are complete and we thought of everything, because this is developed for my own home, then manufactured and sold. Our systems are a long time in development and are complete solutions. That's another reason we don't sell parts, it's the whole package that's so complete and effective.

Good questions.

--
turbineZ
--
turbine@windenergy7.com

jgrendahl

Battery and Home Turbine Questions Cont.

Postby jgrendahl » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:22 pm

>> OK. All good answers. Here's some more questions that
>> I thought of since this morning:

>> 1. In reference to the rooftop + solar systems, what's the
>> specs of the solar panels? In other words, I'm looking for
>> the data that I need in order to fill out that portion of my
>> RoI calculation.

Depends, the standard 2 panel kit is 150 watts. The current upgraded panels I am shipping are 234 watts as a free upgrade available now as a sale. That actually makes it a 934 watt kit or same price. I am giving the upgraded panels away at same price to stimulate sales right now.

>> 2. The multi-turbine rooftop systems show 850W turbines,
>> why the small "step" up from the 750W turbines for the
>> single-turbine system? Are there other wattage options
>> as well? Can you post a performance curve for the 850W
>> model like you have for the 750W model?

There is no 750 watt, it's a 700 watt, there is no 850 watt turbine, that's a 700 watt turbine with 150 watts of solar added.

>> 3. since batteries are not included in the price of the system,
>> they need to go into a RoI calc., too. Do you sell them? If
>> not, where do you recommend buying them? How many
>> do I need?

You can do 4, 8, or 12. I recommend atleast 8. You can buy them at Sam's club or anywhere Golf Cart batteries are sold. BUT, I recommend the U2200 from Interstate for better warranty and standardization. It's 6v 200 to 220 Ah Golf Cart battery. Cost from $71 at Sam's to maybe $115ea. if you don't shop and negotiate well.

>> 4. What's the life expectancy of a battery? 3 years? 5, 10,
>> 20, 30? Automotive batteries seem to take a dump every 6
>> or so years in Ohio weather, but my familiarity with 12V
>> systems (automotive) was quelled in relation to energy
>> systems in the last post...

These batteries will not go out like a car battery because they are not left out in such harsh conditions. But of course mileage will vary with your battery type, and each battery will vary. I would say they will (normally) last atleast 6 and then will require random periodic replacement. They can last a long time but will go out sporadically here and there with weak cells etc. After 6 years I would do a beattery check quarterly as maintenance, checking for weak cells.
-Jason

Return to “Rooftop Wind Turbine Forum”