GREEN CIRCUIT wiring, Distance From Turbine 2 house?

The place for all Rooftop Turbine issues and discussions. Customers meet each other, dealers and installers help out with questions or problems with Rooftop Wind Turbines.
Rooftop Wind Turbine
Site Admin

GREEN CIRCUIT wiring, Distance From Turbine 2 house?

Postby Rooftop Wind Turbine » Sat May 23, 2009 3:13 pm

>> I am envisioning running the circuit from the cabinet with the inverter
>> thru the house to provide the "green circuit" for a portion of the
>> house. Is distance an issue between the turbine \ solar
>> panel and the battery cabinet.

Not really, it just means you have to run more heavy wire to carry the distances.  If it's a long way, it's best to have batteries closer to turbine and panels, make long run in 120v.  See, higher voltage requires smaller wire to carry current.  So, a long run at 24v requires about 3 to 4x the thickness of copper to do same run at 120v.  This one reason why the grid runs 400 kV, 700 MW circuit: 1 kA.  That's 400,000 volts... Cool huh?

I'm not an electrician, but I have become an avid watt watcher and I find all this electrical stuff to be pretty fun to learn about.  It's such a big part of our lives, lifeblood of so much we need to operate.  This, like computer programming, webmastering, one of the many things I got heavily into to teach myself for fun.  I have taught myself so many things reading and working hard at trying, doing, things that I find interesting.  I'm sort of a mad scientist they say.

Post About Wiring Sizes:
Wind/Solar System Wiring

--
turbineZ
--
turbine@windenergy7.com

Return to “Rooftop Wind Turbine Forum”