Can Batteries Sit on Metal Shelf, How Close?

The place for all Rooftop Turbine issues and discussions. Customers meet each other, dealers and installers help out with questions or problems with Rooftop Wind Turbines.
Rooftop Wind Turbine
Site Admin

Can Batteries Sit on Metal Shelf, How Close?

Postby Rooftop Wind Turbine » Fri May 08, 2009 1:47 pm

>> Sam, can the batteries set close and is it alright to set them
>> on a medal shelf????

>> Any Idea when the kit and panel will be shipped? I may have
>> the kit sold.

>> Rex

The shelf should be non conductive, preferably not flamable but wood is usually used because it's hard to find a non flamable non conductive. I use wood myself usually, but I am considering looking for ceramic tiles to cut & use in my next battery bank.

Most of these cabinets are 150lb load on shelves. So, good thing about wood is it really shores up the shelf. I bet 90% of battery banks out there are on wood. So, it's really common and I never really hear or read of a problem with using wood.

Kits are shipping in about 3 weeks completely. Your last order was 05/01 so the inverter will ship first in about 10 days, maybe less. Everything goes in order of how it gets installed usually, inverter, turbine, solar, then mount.

With wind/solar the controller can go in, solar running in a complete system before the turbine flies. That's order I do installs in, so that's order I ship kits in.

clayhill

Postby clayhill » Mon May 11, 2009 7:43 pm

Sam, How close can I place the batteries. My cabinet is only 30" so 1/4 inch between them OK?

Rooftop Wind Turbine
Site Admin

How Close can Batteries Sit in Battery Cabinet

Postby Rooftop Wind Turbine » Tue May 12, 2009 12:06 am

Hmm, 1/4" is a little close for me but yes, I have seen the batteries put right against each other and working OK. I think what I have read and heard repeatedly is 2" between them is preferred. But you know I have seen VERY LARGE battery banks, the largest being shelves on shelves of batteries in large network UPS systems packed right against each other.

This 2" preferred and such may be more about heat than anything else. Additionally when you have to maintain and replace batteries etc. the spacing is probably best with a little room in there.

I am interested to hear anyone's input on this if anybody wants to chime in, please do.

BTW: I was looking at some of that concrete board as I was building my new battery cabinet shelves. I came close to trying that as a non-conductive and non-flammable shelf reinforcement. That may be a good material to use.

Don't forget the sealer spray as soon as you get all connections finished, seal them up to prohibit corrosion.

Rooftop Wind Turbine
Site Admin

Batteries and Gas, Corrosion of Components?

Postby Rooftop Wind Turbine » Thu May 14, 2009 9:06 pm

My box has an dryer style vent, at top. The heat from charge controllers, inverter, batteries insures a higher temperature in the cabinet. The higher temperature in cabinet vs. it's environment outside the cabinet causes a convection current out the vent in top.

Additionally, exhausted by a powered fan for 1 minute every hour that evacuates all fumes from building up. The cabinet fan kit I developed will be for sale from the site soon. It is my opinion that the air flow and air evacuation will not allow the gas to damage anything. I myself am putting my stuff all in with the batteries.

I think your friend makes a good point. The reason for the vent, convection style air flow, and powered hourly air evacuation is all counter measures to the gas and it's potential to cause any problems. The amount of gas in 1 hr is so negligable, the fan removing the air hourly makes for a pretty negligable effect of what harm the gas could do.
--
turbineZ
--
turbine@windenergy7.com

Return to “Rooftop Wind Turbine Forum”