Difference in Ah (amp hours) and CCA (cold cranking amps)

This is the place for all On-Grid or Grid-Tie wind turbine issues and discussions. Customers meet each other, dealers and installers help out with questions.
admin
Site Admin

Difference in Ah (amp hours) and CCA (cold cranking amps)

Post by admin »

>> An 12 volt car battery with 675 amp hours should give
>> 1 amp for several hours and I got 8 4 in series twice
>> and two series sets in parrelle. I'm lost for answers
>> with hardly no draw wind & sun all day and I'm
>> loosing ground.

No, there is no car battery that will have 675 amp hours. That would be a gigantic battery, size of a wheelbarrow. A typical car battery might have 120 to 150 AH or less?

675, That is Cold Cranking Amps, that won't last long at full output. Totally different than Amp Hours. Very rare that a car battery even lists Amp Hours Ah. This question is confusing Ah (amp hours) and Cold Cranking Amps.

AH (amp-hour) = unit of measurement which quantifies the amount of current flow for an amount of time. For example, a current of 1 amp drawn from a battery for 10 hours would consume 10 Amp-hrs of charge from the battery. Fundamentally, a measurement of electrical charge.

CCA (cold cranking amperes) = the amount of current a battery can provide at 0 °F (-18 °C). The rating is defined as the current a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery). It is a more demanding test than those at higher temperatures.