What is an Inverter and What does That Do?

This is the place for all Off-Grid wind turbine issues and discussions. Customers meet each other, dealers and installers help out with questions.
admin
Site Admin

What is an Inverter and What does That Do?

Post by admin »

>> Hello, just a couple of quick dummy questions that I have. In an
>> Off-Grid system what does the "Inverter" do. I notice that I was
>> looking at other turbines and they don't have one? Why does
>> your system have one when other's don't? Thanks, Mark

Hello Mark,

First, the reason that other turbines you are looking at aren't listing that Inverter is included is because they are not selling you a system. Other people are selling parts and leaving it up to you to figure that out later. All Off-Grid systems need many components like inverters, rectifiers, controllers, dump loads, etc. Other turbine manufactureres are selling you parts and thus they can avoid the support of your whole system by pointing fingers at the "other parts" that you had to string together. All these components have to be matched to work correctly and perform well together.

Our company does not, will not, sell just parts. Our goal is successful working systems and training the end user all about the technology. Competitors... Just selling parts and letting someone go out and fail with their new system they patched together. Or, they are selling "Plans" to build a junkyard science project turbine. That's all a way to sell stuff and not worrying about how it works or whether it works. That is just not good business, not ethical IMO. We sell ONLY Complete Systems of matched components, designed to work together, and we support it, train around it, back it up. We only sell parts as replacement or upgrade to complete systems we have sold.

Now, an Inverter is a device that resides between your battery bank, and your 120v AC power loads. Load, that's what you are powering with the inverter, refrigerator, lighting, television, etc. The battery bank is storing power as DC, Direct Current, like in a car battery or a golf cart battery, we bank electricity into the batteries for storage.

The home is using AC, Alternating Current in all it's appliances, lighting, etc, "The Loads" So, the Inverter is the core of an Off-Grid system and is the most important part of the infrastructure. Thus, if a manufacturer is not supplying the inverter, together with a turbine, selling complete systems, don't do business with them, that's not a good thing. Would you buy a starter for a car, then buy wheels somewhere else, a motor elsewhere? Will an Oldsmobile starter run with a Toyota pick-up? Think about it before you start buying stuff from many different sources.

Furthermore, many or most of the turbines out there that come with an inverter may be at the right voltage, 120v AC, but at the wrong HZ 50hz. 50Hz is eoropean and asian standards and NOT WHAT WE USE HERE IN USA. This will work in your home until it burns up motors and potentially starts a fire. So, to have a layperson just playing roulette with the selection of an inverter and patching together a system of parts from here and there... Not a good thing. Actually very dangerous. This is your home, want to have a fire?

Our systems, designed, engineered, built in US, made for US homes, complete with all correct components. You can learn the technology without costly mistakes and pitfalls that other options set you up for. I gotta run, keep an eye out for another post, I'll try to explain more about the inverter itself and it's various features and benefits, we use a great, powerful and well made inverter with all our systems.

Here's some inverter related links of posts to review..

To Upgrade from 1 Turbine, Do I need another Inverter?

Wind/Solar Hybrid Kits, How Much Power For Solar?

If each Roof Turbine is 24v, How can 2 be 24v together?

Roof Turbine, Inverter Output and Amps of Circuit

New Install in California, What else do I need to get?

Final Pre-Sale Questions for Customer/Dealer

You can Become the Local Home Wind/Solar Dealer We are now present in over 21 states and three countries with our owner/dealer group. All you need to do to be qualified to be a dealer is to become an owner, go through install and operation of your system, then sign an agreement for up to 5 counties of territory. Become Home Wind Turbine Dealer

See New Home Wind Turbine Videos

--
turbineZ
turbine@windenergy7.com