Calculating Loads for Small Wind Turbine, Watts?

This is the place for all Off-Grid wind turbine issues and discussions. Customers meet each other, dealers and installers help out with questions.
admin
Site Admin

Calculating Loads for Small Wind Turbine, Watts?

Post by admin »

>> Hello, I am trying to figure the watts of my appliances. I looked
>> on the backs and all I see is amps and not watts on almost everything
>> I saw. How can I get the watts of each device? Then, how can I
>> figure out the kwH (kilowatt hours) that will be used? Sorry for the
>> dumb question and thanks so much for all the training you have
>> done. I really am starting to get this stuff and in my conversations
>> with potential customers I always know more than them which
>> makes it easy to get into a sales discussion. I have learned it all
>> from you and the customer/dealer support has been great.

Thanks for the compliments Jim. I put allot of blood & treasure into helping all you guys learn the technology so that you can help me sell and support the systems. Yes, you are really getting the stuff down. Thank you for taking so much time to read all this stuff that I put out. It has made your training so much faster than most because you take a lot of time reading posts on the forum.

OK, Amps is a number usually used to think of a maximum load of a device. Watts we use more in renewable energy because it is used more in terms of actual AMOUNT of power.. more like volume of electricity.

To get Watts from Amps is pretty simple. Wattage ratings are usually listed in equipment manuals
or on nameplates. If your equipment is rated in amps, multiply that number times AC utility voltage to estimate watts. (Example: a refrigerator requires 4 amps. So, to get watts 4 amps × 120 volts = 480 watts.)

Like with most rules and calculations it goes backwards too. If you did not know the Amps of that refrigerator but you knew the Watts.. (Example: refrigerator is 480 watts. So, to get Amps 480 watts divided by 120 volts = 4 amps.)